Thursday 7 May 2015

MTHFR gene mutation and Folic Acid - the wrong combination!

Over the past 8 years, infertility treatment has taken me all around the world. I've been treated in 4 different countries by countless doctors... Some leaders in their field. There's not a single infertility test I have not undergone. I'm undiagnosed.

Last month I visited a naturopath (had only been to medical doctors up until then). She knew a lot about the MTHFR gene mutation (which 40% of all people have, and I have). She told me to stop taking folic acid, because when you have MTHFR gene mutation, folic acid is not a good solution, especially when you are homozygous. 

Folic acid is ineffective at best, and furthers your condition at worst. 

MTHFR sufferers have a decreased ability to metabolize folic acid and other B vitamins, because they struggle to convert folate to active folate which is what your body actually needs. Folic acid is synthetic folate. What MTHFR sufferers should be taking is methylfolate which is the name of active folate. 

With MTHFR gene mutation, you need to take high levels of active folate, and active vitamin B. Big emphasis on the word active. You can tell it's active if it has 'methyl' in front of it. Most over the counter vitamin B isn't active, and synthetic folic acid, referred to as 'folic acid', is not only not active but also blocks your receptors so natural folate can't enter your system. This is essential if you want to have a baby. Again, all this only applied to people with the MTHFR gene mutation (40% of the population). 

Last month I stopped taking synthetic folic acid. See the products I changed to

This month I am pregnant. 

Tomorrow I have another hCG reading. After 14 miscarriages and failed IVFs, I'm feeling optimistic. 

Just off to have another plate full of spinach, as instructed by the naturopath.


P.S. Most doctors don't seem to know about the MTHFR gene mutation. To date, no IVF or infertility doctors have told me about active folate vs synthetic folic acid. 

Here are some links you might find interesting:
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregnancy/mthfr-is-the-mthfr-gene-mutation-affecting-your-pregnancy/

http://www.mthfrsupport.com.au/folic-acid-vs-5-mthf-debate/

http://doctordoni.com/2014/04/folic-acid-and-mthfr-could-you-have-a-genetic-mutation.html

http://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid/

http://wellnessmama.com/27148/mthfr-mutation/

3 comments:


  1. Thank you for the information, and this is very helpful for me.Health is very important, and the many ways you can do to be healthy.
    visit website to learn more

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are facing challenges in maintaining post pregnancy health, here is a website where you can find useful articles on pregnancy. Most websites share knowledge on pregnancy stages and female health, but here you can also find topics related to post pregnancy issues such as excess weight gain and many more.for more information please visit this site http://www.momycenter.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m Stephanie Brown, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 4 years ago, I lived in pain with the knowledge that I wasn't going to ever be well again. I have used several antiviral medications, but this could not fight the virus of me rather I got side effects of fever, muscle and joint pain. After  spending so much money on antiviral drugs but I never get better. I made research on the internet for herbal medicine. AS I was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things I am restricted from doing, I saw a lady’s post on how Herbal Dr. JAMES cured her of HIV with his herbal mix medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, I told him all that I have been going through, and he told me not to worry that everything will be better again, so he prepared his herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through DHL courier company and told me the usage, after 21 days of completing the herbal medicine, I was totally free from Hepatitis B, I went to see a doctor for a blood test, After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative, I just can’t deny that I’m the happiest woman on earth this very moment, I’m so happy and thanks to Herbal Doctor JAMES,He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, Autism. Bipolar disorder,  Shingles, Melasma, Underactive thyroid, Melanoma, Cancer, Weak Erection, Wart Remover, HPV, Herpes, Fibromyalgia, HIV, Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy, Fibroid, Diabetes,COPD, Back pain, Nephrotic syndrome,Infertility.Cardiovascular diseases.lung diseases,Thyroid disorders ,PCOS,Contact him on his email and get rid of your diseases, he is a good  man  Email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete